APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Apple and databases

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

David Lawrence
Re: Apple and databases
on Mar 27, 2013 at 7:37:54 pm

[Charlie Austin] "In any case Core Data (not synching) has been around for quite some time and is a solid, well regarded framework. You're grasping at straws."

Actually there's a bigger point in the article that I think some of you are missing
"Many veteran developers have learned their lesson and given up on iCloud’s Core Data syncing entirely. "Ultimately, when we looked at iCloud + Core Data for [our app], it was a total no-go as nothing would have worked," said one best-selling iPhone and Mac developer. "Some issues with iCloud Core Data are theoretically unsolvable (stemming from the fact that you’ve put an object model on top of a distributed data store) and others are just plain bugs in the implementation,"
So can these issues ever be solved? "[Apple’s] approach to the problem was very novel and interesting, and perhaps they will ship a version of it that works – but it functions very differently than typical sync solutions in that there is not a central server hub that maintains the ‘truth in the cloud,’" Pierce told me. "Because of this there is a lot of fragility to the implementation, and I’m not sure it will ever scale well to larger data sets,"

What these developers are saying is that Core Data syncing is potentially unscalable and ultimately unfixable because the model itself is broken.

I would argue that this may also be true for the FCPX magnetic timeline in its current form.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]