APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: John Siracusa perspective on Mac Pro Successor

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jeremy Garchow
Re: John Siracusa perspective on Mac Pro Successor
on Mar 27, 2013 at 3:27:24 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "I don't think they were ever in the 'big iron' market like SGI but I can't look back at Apple's history and agree that they've never wanted to have fastest off-the-shelf towers around (fastest in class, if you will). "

I think what is getting misinterpreted is that when I say Apple doesn't offer the fastest computers is that somehow translates to Apple offers slow computers. That is not my intention and not what I am saying at all.

What I am trying to convey is that Apple does not and have not offered the fastest, biggest, loudest, most expandable computers in their history, so I can't imagine that is suddenly going to change if history can predict the future.

Have they offered a competitive product over the years? Certainly.

But even today, while the current crop of Retina MacBook Pros are fantastic machines, they aren't customizable, they don't have the fastest GPU, they don't have every single connection including 56k modem and 9 pin serial, they don't have as much RAM as you can stuff in a laptop these days, they don't have an extra internal hard drive slot, therefore they don't have the fastest, loudest, heaviest i7 available because you can easily out spec a MacBook Pro in something like an HP. They are the fastest Apple laptops ever created, but they aren't as fast as you can go. Doesn't this mean that Apple can say, marketing wise, that they are releasing the fastest PC* on the planet?

The MacBook Pros are amazing for the power that you do get in such an efficient machine, but they aren't looking to win the sky rocket mach test; you can still run really fast even if you aren't looking to have the fastest time.

There was a moment during the Mac Clone Years when the MacOS was licensed out and you could purchase more than what the equivalent Apple manufactured box was offering. I am sure there are some that would like to see those days return.

If I had to predict what is coming, I'd imagine a Xeon workstation with Phi. In my mind, Phi makes so much sense for Apple to offer.

And thus begins the next round of Walter S commentary about parallel vs co-processing vs GPGPU, vs Jeremy's Crazy Ramblings, etc and so forth. ;)

Jeremy

*Designed by Apple Inc in California

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]