APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: John Siracusa perspective on Mac Pro Successor

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Walter Soyka
Re: John Siracusa perspective on Mac Pro Successor
on Mar 27, 2013 at 1:51:52 pm

[Marcus Moore] "Apple's biggest sins in the last few years [MacPro and X] hasn't been what they've done, it's how they've miss-positioned those things to their intended audience. Basically their PR has been crap."

I respectfully disagree.

No amount of PR could have papered over the unexpected workflow-shattering product cancellations and discontinuities we've seen in the last couple years.

Apple had been establishing trust from about 2000 to about 2010, and then they broke it -- now they have to establish it again -- with products, not PR.

[Marcus Moore] "I'm not sure what the rational ultimately was in 2010 to end 64 bit carbon development, but decisions like that take years to way the pros and cons of."

From Daring Fireball's The $64,000 Question [link]:

"One aspect of the saga that Nack sidesteps — perhaps for political reasons, or perhaps because he’s gracious — is the degree to which Apple pulled the rug out from under Adobe’s feet at WWDC 2007 last June. When Leopard was first announced at WWDC 2006 nine months prior, it included full 64-bit support for both Carbon and Cocoa.

"64-bit Carbon wasn’t promised to be coming “sometime”, like with, say, resolution independence. It was promised for 10.5.0. And it existed — developer seeds of Leopard up through WWDC 2007 had in-progress 64-bit Carbon libraries, and Adobe engineers were developing against them. Several sources1 have confirmed to me that Adobe found out that Apple was dropping support for 64-bit Carbon at the same time everyone else outside Apple did: on the first day of WWDC 2007."

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]