APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: John Siracusa perspective on Mac Pro Successor

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Marcus Moore
Re: John Siracusa perspective on Mac Pro Successor
on Mar 27, 2013 at 1:22:27 pm

[Chris Harlan] "I never said that it did. I said that they already had plans and prototyping to fall back on. "

If that's true, then how committed could they have even been to EOL'ing the MacPro at all? If Apple had a plan to move out of this space, then they would have stopped designing next-gen towers years ago. And I'm no computer engineer, but I don't think you can just pick up a, let's say, 2010 design concept- pull it out of the box and pop next gen processors in it.

And honestly, I don't think the tech backlash was THAT intense that it could account for a 24hr turnaround in Apple's product development roadmap at the executive level.

Undoubtably, Apple should never have put a "NEW" tag on the MacPro after WWDC. It wasn't an update or a refresh- it was them swapping out one component for another that wasn't being manufactured anymore.

Apple's biggest sins in the last few years [MacPro and X] hasn't been what they've done, it's how they've miss-positioned those things to their intended audience. Basically their PR has been crap.

As I mentioned before, weeks before WWDC, Jim D of the Loop made the statement that the MacPro wasn't going away. Jim isn't a rumour monger. He only speaks on stuff he has sources for. Perhaps Apple knew there was going to be backlash on the MacPro, so they wanted to get the word out that this internals switch wasn't another sign that the product was waiting to die. That seems more logical to me than the 11th hour switch your suggesting.

[Chris Harlan] And there is one of many perfect examples of one side of Apple not knowing what another side is doing.

I think that's a gross over-simplification of really complex issues. What's the alternative? All Final Cut development stops while they dev team waits for the OS-level engineers to decide on Carbon vs Cocoa? I'm not sure what the rational ultimately was in 2010 to end 64 bit carbon development, but decisions like that take years to way the pros and cons of. It was a late-stage decision from all indications, and a far-reaching one. FCP just happened to be a program in the wrong stage of development when that happened. Or the best, if you like the result (which I do).

But overall I think that the product itself when released will answer a lot of questions as to what's been going on with it's development.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]