APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: John Siracusa perspective on Mac Pro Successor

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Andrew Kimery
Re: John Siracusa perspective on Mac Pro Successor
on Mar 27, 2013 at 3:34:35 am

I agree that Apple hasn't shown a desire to have the absolute fastest tower. I mean, I don't think they were ever in the 'big iron' market like SGI but I can't look back at Apple's history and agree that they've never wanted to have fastest off-the-shelf towers around (fastest in class, if you will). Maybe just the use of the word "never" is where I'm getting hung up. Dual CPU's have been common on Mac towers for around a decade, the Mac Pros use Xeon CPU's (intel's workstation, not consumer, line of CPU's), it wasn't until the G3 era that Apple started skimping on the expansion slots, Apple claiming that the G5 at launch was the world's fastest personal computer, etc.,. If Apple didn't want to put out fastest in class towers I think they at least wanted to present themselves as having the fastest and, for the sake of this discussion (having a halo product), I think it's a difference that doesn't make a difference.

With all that being said I would not be surprised if Apple wants to 're-imagine' the Mac Pro into a smaller form factor box that is expandable via optical ThunderBolt. I think Apple sees traditional towers as the new big iron machines and doesn't want to compete in an increasingly shrinking marketplace full of very demanding customers.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]