APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: John Siracusa perspective on Mac Pro Successor

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Rick Lang
Re: John Siracusa perspective on Mac Pro Successor
on Mar 26, 2013 at 1:42:58 pm

This thread has brought out the best of the heavyweight boxers and we have seen a hundred solid punches delivered that resonant. As a bantamweight I might only get in one quick blow and since there are no glass jaws in this thread, I know my brains will be scrambled a moment after my effort lands...

Apple went with IBM when they believed and were likely promised that the PowerPC chips would be the fastest because they were the smartest instruction set and architecture in town. IBM still makes PowerPC trucks but Apple abandoned PPC (shortly after I bought into all the sizzle of the G5) because IBM let them down, couldn't keep up with the Intel team that seemed to put new rubber on their wheels after every lap in the race. So Apple partners with Intel and benefits for just a few years on the fast track raceways, with an eventual lynchpin becoming the head start that Thunderbolt gave them for once again going with the fastest and smartest technology they co-developed. But that's also proven to be where their honeymoon began to unravel with USB3 nipping at their heels and becoming as prevalent as snowflakes in the spring in the US; and then 10Gbps Ethernet appears to steal some of their Thunder again without being as smart or as good but sounding like it is important.

And where is the promise of 100Gbps Thunderbolt to scorch all competition? Delayed because there is no need for it now? Delayed until 2014 can have a way of never happening as something else is in the works. Like IBM, Intel will offer it but will it be in time to outsmart Apple's competition? It seems doubtful since Intel wants to serve two masters: PC and Mac. When Apple felt left out of the party by IBM in 2005, they found another party and had some fun. Will that happen again, "later in 2013?" Or will they be satisfied with a head start having the first Xeon Thundefbolt CPUs? But maybe they understand the party is getting old and they are seeking something different, perhaps this year but maybe not found for another year. Just as they went with Intel and their first generation alliance was a very short dance with the earliest Core Duo, it may be that what Apple dances this year may only be a hint of what they plan to do as they look about the dance floor for another partner.

Of course CPUs and GPUs are so important to get the work done, but integrated and faster Thunderbolt is an extremely important set of moves to bring on. I don't know if Apple has the rights to do Thunderbolt and/or Thunderbolt 2 without Intel, but if they do have the rights, they may make their move once again. Their rational is not about feature overkill and specs per se, but integration of what works best together again.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]