APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: John Siracusa perspective on Mac Pro Successor

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Walter Soyka
Re: John Siracusa perspective on Mac Pro Successor
on Mar 25, 2013 at 9:20:45 pm

[Craig Seeman] "I've said before it's more like they'll sell you one if they have to but they don't want to sell new machines that may be in services for years without Thunderbolt. In other words given their options, they'd rather gamble on pent up demand rather than to have updated to Sandy Bridge Xeons in 2012."

Look at your 5-year old Mac Pro -- the machines Apple are selling today may well be in service for years without Thunderbolt, modern Xeons, or USB 3.0...

That said, I do understand your thinking here. I'll assume you're correct. The thing is -- I don't care what's good for Apple. I care what's good for me (an Apple customer). I also like to think that Apple cares what's good for me (an Apple customer).

There is always something newer and better around the corner. Why not wait until optical Thunderbolt comes out? If you're going to wait that long, why not optical Thunderbolt 2.0? This is like some kind of reverse Osborne effect [link].

Coming back to the issue of trust that underscores this entire forum, I'd feel a lot better building a business on Apple products if they were a bit more consistent in offering competitive products.

[Craig Seeman] "For all we know Apple is punching out Intel in some back room screaming "why didn't you give us that motherboard last year.""

An alternative: for all we know, Apple was considering canceling the Mac Pro and never asked Intel for that motherboard last year, and have since reversed course.

I don't really think it matters what the reason was, or who is yelling at whom in back rooms. All the other workstation vendors have current offerings, and Apple doesn't. For the embarrassment of riches from Apple in the consumer space and professional portable space, the gaping hole in their professional lineup -- and looking at recent history, the specter of holes like this appearing again and again -- is hugely unsettling for a business built on high-powered Apple hardware.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]