APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: John Siracusa perspective on Mac Pro Successor

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Craig Seeman
Re: John Siracusa perspective on Mac Pro Successor
on Mar 25, 2013 at 8:42:16 pm

[Walter Soyka] "What company is that -- Intel? They're the brains behind Xeon and Thunderbolt, right?

If Apple's big advantage is that the build the whole system, hardware and software, what are they waiting for? Why aren't they designing and building the Xeon/Thunderbolt motherboard?"

They may have to, at least going forward. Intel has said they're going to wind down their motherboard business.

Until the new MacPro is released we won't know the path taken but there may well have been some quandary over "wait for Intel" vs "let's do it ourselves because we'll have to eventually."

[Walter Soyka] "Apple will gladly sell you a new Mac Pro today -- and it doesn't have Thunderbolt."

I'm not sure if they're glad. They certainly have no interest in doing what appears to be minor changes for EU market for a few months. I've said before it's more like they'll sell you one if they have to but they don't want to sell new machines that may be in services for years without Thunderbolt. In other words given their options, they'd rather gamble on pent up demand rather than to have updated to Sandy Bridge Xeons in 2012.

[Walter Soyka] "I honestly feel badly for everyone here who is stuck waiting on on the Mac Pro of the Future. I think that you are being under-served by your preferred vendor, and I sincerely hope that the wait proves worthwhile."

No arguments from me there. I had to update my 2008 MacPro with an ATI 5770 even thought the 5770 & 5870 are not officially compatible. Apple certainly could have gotten more money from me if they had a MacPro worth updating to. I'm also consulting some customers in the EU who must have a new MacPro NOW for their business and would settle for the 2010/2012 pitiful version and they can't even get that. Apple has "gladly" decide NOT to sell them a MacPro.

For all we know Apple is punching out Intel in some back room screaming "why didn't you give us that motherboard last year."

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]