APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: John Siracusa perspective on Mac Pro Successor

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Joseph Owens
Re: John Siracusa perspective on Mac Pro Successor
on Mar 25, 2013 at 6:14:12 pm

[Oliver Peters] "I want a reliable, fast workhorse that will last the next 4-5 years "

That's ambitious.

I bought one quad G5 in 2006 that didn't make it one year. Of course that was due to Apple's sea-change to Intel and ramping up the OS, while completely changing their hardware/software strategy. It didn't help that actually within that one year, I had to replace that G5 three times because of internal failures of one kind or another. Serious hangar-queen-in-the-making, like early triple-Weber Ferrari V12s.

So, notes on the Siracusa article. Saw the Viper revival special on Speed a week ago or so -- interesting fight to keep the halo car, but in reality the Viper and Corvette are almost "daily drivers" compared to the really ridiculous supercars; the Veyron, MacLarens, and all the Italians. Even sensible Audi is producing a street legal LeMans car. Personally experienced a Viper 0-138 mph in a straight quarter-mile a few years back -- but here is the lesson -- almost the same experience in an SRT-10. That's "trickle-down". BTW, Jeremy Clarkson hates computers with a purple fury probably more than Akio Toyoda loves cars.

Toyota's foray into F-1 was also mostly a failure, where they blew at least a billion for a couple of podiums and not one win. But the cachet! Out there with Ferrari -- one of the most-recognized "brands" in the world, and what do they sell? Not anything you or I could buy, anything that you can get in and drive, anyway. They don't advertise, but you have to wait for a year or so for your order to be processed.... if it is accepted, because there is a very, very long line of buyers who have already put down their cash. No, the Ferrari street cars aren't even their "halo" cars -- the Scuderia handles that item, which is not for mere mortals at all. And that is why FIAT tolerates them. I don't think its exactly why JLo is running around Brooklyn in a Cinquecento, but.. it is the same company.

In fact, this is why Maserati has staged a form of comeback -- acquired by FIAT and moved into Maranello, with its step-brothers, the Ferraris.

I have to wonder if this is Adobe's problem -- as good as their product is, it just doesn't really have the sizzle. Not like the "I edit with AVID" kind of pedigree, whatever that might be good for. McLuhan put it, "the Medium IS the message"... not the zen koan it used to be, hey?

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]