APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Is it my Mac?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Oliver Peters
Re: Is it my Mac?
on Mar 20, 2013 at 7:24:59 pm

[Lance Bachelder] "The only things that are still sluggish are plug-ins such as Magic Bullet stuff that is obviously not optimized for FCPX (I love how Red Giant still blames Apple, yet most of my plug-ins run in real-time)"

That's because they are correct. There is a bug in rendering. General real-time performance and UI responsiveness with third-party plug-ins is awful. All developers off-the-record complain about trying to stay ahead of the curve with issues that Apple tosses at them, due to updates in the app and OS. It's an Apple issue that all developers are struggling with.

There is no FCP X plug-in architecture like there was in "legacy" or is in Premiere Pro, MC, Vegas, etc. It is FxPlug by way of Motion, so all effects in FCP X are Motion templates, not true plug-ins. Apple can deviate from that, so the built-in stuff runs faster. Outside developers can have fast plug-ins if they don't do very much with them - that is don't gang a lot of processes into one filter. These have to be designed and published as Motion templates. So, for example, BCC8 for FCP X are filters that install into Motion and then a subset of those appear in FCP X, because Boris has built the corresponding Motion templates.

Red Giant MB Looks, Sapphire Edge Tiffen Dfx and the DFT products work completely differently. All processing is external of FCP X, so the plug-in is really a "conduit" that sends a frame to the engine (a separate application) for processing. This is returned to FCP X as the effected frame. This adds overhead and in all likelihood may require some non-standard "hacking" because of the limitations of FCP X.

The bottom line is that if you want fast-running filters, stick to those that are purely Motion templates. If you want advanced filters that give you a lot more control - use After Effects and buy the filters for that.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]