APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Is it my Mac?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

John Davidson
Re: Is it my Mac?
on Mar 20, 2013 at 6:20:08 pm

I have the new iMac 27 with everything maxed out and the 3TB fusion drive. Since getting it in early Jan I've been pretty pleased with it. So much so that I ordered a second one yesterday. There are little things about it that won't occur to you until actual use that will make you happy later.

Pros:
*USB 3 drives are significantly faster - you will hate any non USB 3 external drives you have.
*The screen reflections over older iMac and Cinema Displays are dramatically less.
*The iMacs are not, in fact, disposable. We have 3 (4 with the next one coming in a few days). Our 2009 iMac isn't good for editing, but is excellent for web/email/general office use.

Cons:
There is no firewire and optical disk drive, so any blue ray burning you want to do will have to be done with a usb 3 external burner. I don't know about purchasing one of those but they probably exist.

If I had my way, our Mac Pros would be for server use only and all editing and designing would be done on new iMacs. That's the goal for us now - simplicity and power. It's pretty awesome that you can buy a new computer that's this powerful for 3k. Thunderbolt is pretty fantastic with a TTap or Mini Monitor tethered to a RAID.

If you get an iMac, check out the Satechi 10 port USB 3 hub (or something similar).

Good luck with whatever you end up getting!

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]