APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X Creative Community Conversations FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Final Cut Pro X Pro Users Only??

COW Forums : Creative Community Conversations (was FCPX Debates)

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Joseph Owens
Re: Final Cut Pro X Pro Users Only??
on Apr 15, 2011 at 8:02:34 pm

[Paul Jay] "Fcp x is a new piece of beta software"

Well, at least this much is true and completely unarguable.

So I'm blowing the day reading all this sshh! (ain't that some stuff?) and realizing that there is probably not much point. No ROI, that's for sssh!
We do owe it to ourselves to stay open to all the possibilities. At this point, because a number of my clients are AVID-oriented, it seems like a perfect opportunity to at least add it to my system. The Baselight plugin (will it work with FCPX?) seems like a fun thing and pretty cheap -- why shouldn't I buy every bloody thing on the floor? The price of these things, although there may be some hardware ramifications, makes it difficult to resist.

As far as "looking pro" to your clients with this cheap software, we probably don't have to worry too much about that. There are ways to look pro that have nothing to do with the clicking and dragging sssh!

The other thing is they probably won't be clients anyway -- not when they can do the whole job themselves and write-off the laptop they did it on.

If what we saw on Tuesday is to be taken away as "work to date", then I have to wonder just what the resource commitment is from within the Apple empire. More questions than answers, for sure. I have over the years become very concerned with the core media-processing of Final Cut, and it would have been enough for me if FCP7 functionality were to somehow become core-aware, and could actually handle different framerates, codecs, field dominance, and intra-frame cadences that would meet broadcast QA. But it didn't, doesn't and mightn't still. Such a pity, but hey, those are just technical sssh! that apparently has nothing to do with editing.

Where does this version seem to fit and who is the prime beneficiary out of the gate? Apple is going to record some big numbers in downloads. At $299 a pop, its a no-brainer to load on whatever portable device might conceivably be appropriate. FCPX on the iPad, anyone? Why not?

Its "iPhoto" ingest (as the images are analyzed and tagged for content) makes it very attractive for editors to start working and making decisions with media that they have never seen before. For unplanned, unscripted, unslated production, this will be a boon -- think rapid turnaround news clips, or every student film ever made, every birthday party, wedding, frat kegger or cat-falling-off-a-tv-set YouTube upload. I'm sure that recorded media post production is entering a new golden age.

jPo

You mean "Old Ben"? Ben Kenobi?

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]