APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: NAB and FCP X

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Bill Davis
Re: NAB and FCP X
on Mar 7, 2013 at 8:12:34 pm

Honestly the largest "issues" come from those who just can't escape the very natural urge to view the new thing through the lens of the old thing.

It's like learning a new language by constantly asking "we say BOAT in English, what's the word in the new language. I totally get that. But in editing, if you do things that way, the very language you use can be the very problem because your starting point is A WAY of operating. And if the goal is to explore a NEW way of operating, then you're limiting your thinking.

Those of us who "liked" X from the start were often those of us who were most willing to revise our habits, NOT merely learn how to do the same things we did before X, within X.

The more you fight X and try to shoehorn it into your traditional habitst, the more i think you'll will struggle. the evidence of that are the folks who pop up looking for X to add "comfort" features so they don't have to rethink processes. Dual windows, patching, color correction that works "more like Devinci" - all pleas to make X more like the comfortable past.

But the odd thing is, on the far side of the learning curve, many of those things are far less important to me than they used to be. I'm no longer making the same types of programs I used to. I'm making smaller, tighter, (hopefully) more impactful videos. I'm making them more often. I'm also doing radio spots, business presentations, TV Spots, incorporating stills and motion graphics more. And I'm distributing most of that directly to clients out of FCP-X as exports in the form of video or audio web exports..

Other competing software solutions do all of these things as well. But X approaches the workflow and the process plumbing differently, and I think in a more modern way.

It still feels fresh and fast to me. Concentrating on doing the most critical parts of modern content creation really, really efficiently and well.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]