APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Lightworks coming to the Mac

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Chris Harlan
Re: Lightworks coming to the Mac
on Mar 3, 2013 at 7:59:20 pm

Jeremy, skeumorphism is a particular design concept, not a physical law that underpins nature. You are trying to extend the concept beyond its rather artificial bounds, in a way that is just not useful and dilutes the term. All GUI skeumorphic design is representational, not all GUI representations are skeumorphic. Just because the FCP mixer has the layout that resembles the layout of a physical mixer does not make it skeumorphic. I suppose there is a tiny bit of room to argue about whether faders technically might fall into a skeumorphic concept, but since they provide an actual function in one of the most precise visual ways possible--dial, slider or numeric entry are really about all you can do to make this function happen--I would argue vehemently that it is not. There are many metaphors used in computer software. A file system with folders would be one. Those metaphors get extended visually so that in OS X, for instance, a folder is represented as a blue manila folder. Is that skeumorphism? I would say not. Does this visual metaphor have some ideas in common with skeumorphism? Yes. Is there a solid line where one becomes the other? Probably not. Again, it is an artificial design concept.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]