APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: OT: Adobe raising our costs by 600%

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Chris Jacek
Re: OT: Adobe raising our costs by 600%
on Mar 3, 2013 at 5:05:50 am

[Aindreas Gallagher] "Again: adobe are really likely to tiptoe completely past this discussion. the guys who come in here likely have no say in what is pretty rabid short term dollar hungry policy from the top."

Aindreas, I thought you might find this post interesting. I started this same thread on the Premiere forum, in the hopes of hearing something from somebody from Adobe. I actually got one, which I pasted below. It is not very encouraging, however. It seems that I have been getting this same song and dance from several directions and division from within Adobe, and each time I call, I am never even allowed to escalate to a supervisor. I'm simply told "that's all I can offer you at this time." Very disturbing. As you can see from my response (pasted after the Adobe response), my patience for this situation is wearing thin. Shady corporate ethos from Apple and Adobe, and the possible death of Avid, may eventually drive us all into the arms of open-source products.

Hi Guys,

To be clear about the way maintenance giving you upgrade rights on top of the original purchase and how the creative cloud offering works - the per seat fee for Master Collection (which is platform agnostic! being on a Mac or PC the same account access knows which installer you require), with other services including training videos across the entire toolset, a space for social from behance (coming) and free new feature based upgrades drops (can be as frequent as per month if they are ready to drop) is in the constant pricing model that's subscribed to the plan.

The cost of per seat is locked in and can be budgeted in forecasts. Getting Team allows you to allow access to students based on an admin assigned sign in and when students leave, graduate that account is closed and reassigned. Seats can be scaled mid-way too.

CLP licenses won't have access to the new feature rich (innovation based) updates - legally. This meant in the past that updates of this nature required waiting until a full year/18month cycle was released before the features could be passed on at the extra cost.

The Cloud based subscription bypasses the innovation lag.

So effectively $40 per seat is $40 per seat even when a major update drops. If you a in subscription timeframe you effectively have maintenance built into the price.

From the sites I saw you would otherwise be paying about $600 for the Prod Premium only software, then the maintenance on top. If the students want to learn where video goes across digital publishing, web etc, you need to buy more software. This is just software there are no extended services included in this product line.

Reapply the mathematics knowing the maintenance is included in the pricing and consider the extent of allowing students access to the software on their computers too. They get access to 2 Adobe Expert lessons per seat/year and 100G of cloud based storage.

Hope this helps a little more about understanding the value of Creative Cloud.

:)

JB
Adobe Systems,
Video Solutoins Consultatnt, A/NZ

Jon Barrie
Adobe Video Solutions Consultant ANZ
Jon's YouTube Tutorial Page
follow Jon with twitter

Re: Price increase of 600% for Production Premium for our college
by Chris Jacek on Mar 2, 2013 at 9:24:47 pm

I understand how it works, and everything you mention sounds great. Except for the price. The fact that there is no longer an upfront cost means little to us, because we have already paid the upfront costs of the perpetual license. We retain our license when the student leaves, and can then re-assign it to another of our students when they join the program. Since the computers are portable, they ARE using them at home, even though they actually belong to the college until the day they graduate or leave the school otherwise. All this, we are already receiving, but for only $6.25 a month. I know it is only software, but that is truly only what we need, and more importantly, what we can afford. Are you suggesting that the extras you mention are worth over $33 per month? They certainly are not worth that to us.

I think the Cloud is a great idea, but your pricing structure is exploitative to educators as compared to your previous licensing system. And frankly, we will NEVER be able to afford it, which leaves us with 2 choices: Keep using our old stuff, or look elsewhere. Adobe used to be a company that valued its educational users by aggressively discounting their products 75-80% over the commercial prices. That's why we chose Adobe in the first place. This will also be the reason we STOP using Adobe products if this new policy is not improved. To keep with your traditional aggressive educational pricing, you should be offering the Creative Cloud for about $10-12 per month.

If this new pricing structure is such a great deal, then why kill the old system so quickly? If it is such a great deal, people would certainly flock to the new system and abandon the one we've been using. But Adobe's decision to quickly kill the old licensing system, shows that they know they are screwing over their educational customers. I noticed that Adobe still offers "Upgrade Plan" for CLP licensees on the commercial side, but not education.

I think it's pretty obvious that Adobe no longer wants to court education with the aggressive discounts that they used to. How long do you think that educational institutions are going to support Adobe when you jack up the prices so much so fast?

Professor, Producer, Editor
and former Apple Employee

Professor, Producer, Editor
and former Apple Employee

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]