APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Lightworks coming to the Mac

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jok Daniel
Re: Lightworks coming to the Mac
on Mar 2, 2013 at 12:17:41 pm

Lightworks is excellent stuff, and a real contender IMO. I know it has a slightly "legacy" feel to it, but that's really skin-deep and in many ways it's one of the most modern NLEs of all.

It's built on a solid database foundation which leverages metadata and search functions. It promotes a highly tactile and fluid approach to editing, with amazing trim tools as its crowning feature. It's really strong in sharing scenarios (with multi-user timelines updating in real-time and other unique features). And its interface is open and free-form, and easily accommodates a wide range of creative approaches.

Where most NLEs can feel a bit rigid and boxed-in, the Lightworks interface is like an open canvas. You can put clips in transient or permanent bins, or just plop them on the desktop and arrange them storyboard-style. You can easily use a sequence as a source clip (or vice-versa!) You can open as many source viewers as you wish, and arrange them in multiple "rooms". Set up separate rooms for all the different scenes you're working on. Or one for you and one for your assistant, working on a separate machine. It has the most malleable interface of any NLE, and IMO it's also the best-looking interface, if you care about such things (and many Mac users - myself included - certainly do!)

Sure, it has a somewhat eccentric UI, but so what? So do 99% of iPad apps, and no one seems too bothered about that. Doesn't the rise of iOS and skeumorphism spell the end of standardized, one-size-fits-all UIs anyway? (Come to think of it, Lightworks would probably work really well on a tablet.) Besides, hardware controllers seem to be all the rage again, and Lightworks has one of the best.

The EditShare guys are really cool and as far as I can tell they are in it for the long haul (check out http://www.redharknews.com for an indication of their commitment and ambition!)

There's already a strong community around Lightworks, and the Linux crowd have just come onboard. I expect we'll soon see a rich eco-system of plug-ins and third-party software. Personally, I can't wait.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]