APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Opinions on what NLE to teach on a new BA in Film & Screen Media Production

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Chris Kenny
Re: Opinions on what NLE to teach on a new BA in Film & Screen Media Production
on Feb 12, 2013 at 9:56:46 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "Going by that metric FCPX won't be seen as ready for prime time for another 6 years or so. Then, once it really starts taking hold, it will languish for a few years before Apple kills it and starts the cycle all over again. Still not a very compelling argument for FCPX, IMO. ;)"

Heh. I'd imagine things would be a little faster this time, since FCP X is more technically capable (relative to market expectations) at this point than FCP was at a similar point in its lifecycle, and the underlying disruptive wave FCP X is riding — file-based, metadata-oriented workflow — is more applicable to the high end (mostly broadcast/feature markets) we're talking about here than the underlying disruptive wave FCP was riding (DV + FireWire).

That said, I do think the slow pace of FCP's rise is a useful illustration of just how conservative this industry is. As is the continued widespread use of Media Composer, really. Media Composer feels more 'legacy' than any other desktop app I've come into contact with in years — the labyrinthine interface, the bizarre approach to media management, the inability to perform pretty much any processing task without blocking the UI — and yet it's still the dominant power in some industry segments. This is an industry that practically requires generational turnover to embrace change.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]