APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Opinions on what NLE to teach on a new BA in Film & Screen Media Production

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Chris Kenny
Re: Opinions on what NLE to teach on a new BA in Film & Screen Media Production
on Feb 12, 2013 at 5:07:35 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "I believe you're confusing it with premiere. the one with a tracked timeline."

I'm reasonably certain that I'm not. While Premiere is cheaper and more accessible than Media Composer, it still doesn't do nearly as well in those dimensions as FCP X. It's not just about price and accessibility — though FCP X does beat Premiere on both of those. It's also about the fact that FCP X simply belongs to a new generation of software that doesn't involve intrusive copy protection, buggy installers, modal dialogs, contextual pop-up menus that barely fit on the screen, etc. I mean, look, practically anyone in a creative field ends up using some of Adobe's software, and I think everyone respects the feature sets Adobe manages to deliver, but seriously, I'm really not looking to extend this into more aspects of my workflow.

As for the track paradigm, well, much like, say, Media Composer, as far as I can tell, that's something that longtime users often can't see the faults with, but that makes thins more onerous on new editors. The truth is, between roles, the 'override collections' modifier, the position tool, and commands like 'Replace with Gap', the magnetic timeline offers a superset of the functionality of a traditional track-based timeline — it offers intelligent, non-destructive default behavior, that can be overridden as necessary. I discussed this reasonable defaults view at length a year and a half ago.

This is not to say that Premiere won't be somewhat successful on its own terms. Media Composer is an app that is, by any objective standard (i.e. according to pretty much anyone who knows what modern software looks like and hasn't been using Media Composer since computers still came in beige) is well past its sell-by date. Even Avid itself recognizes this internally; they tried some years back to build a next generation editing app, but backed out over concerns about disenfranchising the existing user base. Avid's prospects as a company also leave something to be desired, with possible implications for users. As the long, slow migration away from Media Composer continues, Adobe now may be in a position to pick up a respectable fraction of those users.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]