APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Trouble in FCPX plugin land - motionVFX investigates Pixel Film Studios

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Michael Phillips
Re: Trouble in FCPX plugin land - motionVFX investigates Pixel Film Studios
on Feb 12, 2013 at 4:56:55 pm

Certainly not condoning violation of copyrights or any intellectual property but it is interesting at a high level what the industry is going through at this time. As a holder of several patents, I see violations all over the place. It is up to the company to pursue legal action at the cost that it entails. There are so many rules and strategies associated with it that in the end, it's the lawyers that end up winning. ;) I find that patent filing and granted patents are mainly a defensive counter move when being sued for patent violation as well as the right to do the process yourself. In the example in this thread, it is pretty clear with a difference matte between the layers that the similarities of "grain and noise" are identical.

That aside, it was ineresting to me to see how many employees these companies have to create the product offerings and the pressure from potential customers who want everything for free or hardly nothing. That only works when you have something that it is attached to that is of greater value to sell, protect, or grow market share. For example, Redcine X Pro from Red is free. Resolve is free but Grant has a great philosophy to back that strategy up and an ecosystem to back that up with what is available now as well as whatever he has in mind in the future. Apple has it with FCPX - between hardware, operating system, iTunes only purchase, etc it is it's own singular ecosystem. I would not be surprised if Apple only allowed plug-ins to be installed into FCPX via iTunes in the future as a strategy, getting an ensure 30% of that revenue as well.

As the prices drop, volume sales must go up to stay in business. motionVFX has 15 employees. Each one making enough salary to make a living, raise a family, perhaps buy a home. But the new mentality of free to no cost because it's software is fascinating and concerning at the same time - content is fast becoming that way as well and you've seen the stories of how much money the artist actually gets in the back end. There are more distribution platforms out there for all this, but marketing costs, competitive pressure all lead to a difficult endeavor, be it software products or content. There is truth to the saying; "there are a lot of first time filmmakers, not a whole lot of second time ones." And getting a distribution deal does not mean you're making a living. I've lived that one first hand as a content creator.

Michael

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]