APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Opinions on what NLE to teach on a new BA in Film & Screen Media Production

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Patrick Murphy
Re: Opinions on what NLE to teach on a new BA in Film & Screen Media Production
on Feb 12, 2013 at 3:59:31 am

"But isn't language underpinned by broadly held grammar rules? as opposed to arbitrary elements?"

I'd agree that grammar is partly derived from fundamental cognitive process, but there's also a cultural dimension as well. In any case there's plenty of evidence that humans are pretty good at absorbing more than one form and working comfortably within it.

But I was thinking here more about vocabulary, which has much less attachment to absolutes and is subject to geographic and ethnic variables.

Mostly I'm trying to think clearly about editing by dividing into two spheres, the first concerns the editing application itself, which is an artifact created by an engineer. The second is the message itself, a far more complex product.

In terms of editing applications, I think we're still in a pretty early, possibly primitive, stage. The timeline makes sense to me, but I'm not ready to be particularly dogmatic about it. My point is simply that anyone starting out today, with maybe 50 years of productive work ahead of them, should resist commitment to a single approach, and should preserve their capacity to adapt.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]