APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Opinions on what NLE to teach on a new BA in Film & Screen Media Production

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Andrew Kimery
Re: Opinions on what NLE to teach on a new BA in Film & Screen Media Production
on Feb 10, 2013 at 10:38:14 pm

[Ian Bailey] "People have been saying that we should teach students what the industry uses now. I believe we should teach them what the industry will be using in 3-5 years time. I also think that graduates entering the industry will influence what technology will be used. Film students embraced legacy FCP several years before it was taken seriously by the media industry."

Who can predict the future though? How many students learned FCP Legend only to have it EOL'd around the time they hit the job market? Speaking of hitting the job market, how many students actually graduate and walk into a job in the cutting room? I'd wager not many (especially in larger markets). We all obviously agree that teaching students how to edit is ultimately more important than teaching them how to use an NLE, but in the real world knowing how to use certain software is a requirement more often then not. I think students interested in post production today would be getting the short end of the stick if they weren't exposed to multiple NLEs (and in the U.S. at least Avid MC should be one of them).

I'd say low budget filmmakers (especially docs) embraced FCP Legend well before it was widely accepted and that started the trickle down to universities and students. If FCPX starts getting traction in the same areas that FCP Legend did then we could very well see a repeat scenario but so far that hasn't happend. In part because the landscape is much different now than it was at the turn of the century. Lots of people still use FCP Legend, Avid is more affordable than ever, Premiere is getting serious looks from areas of the industry that typically wouldn't touch it with a 10-foot pole...

As a final thought (for this post at least) since Avid MC does have the steepest learning curve why not spend class time teaching it as opposed to FCPX which would be easier for students to pickup on their own time?

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]