APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Opinions on what NLE to teach on a new BA in Film & Screen Media Production

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Craig Alan
Re: Opinions on what NLE to teach on a new BA in Film & Screen Media Production
on Feb 10, 2013 at 6:25:50 pm

I'm a video production teacher at a High School. I've been driving myself nuts the last year or so trying to make the same decision. I have come to two conclusions. A: it doesn't matter as long as your students can produce projects. Their reels and their contacts will get them jobs, not what NLE they used at school. However, they should be able to say at a job interview, "Yeah I can edit on that." So -- B: have stations with all three contenders for those students serious about being professional editors. Tell them they need to know it all including sound editing, color correction, special effects, 3D, etc. The ability to tell a story on a timeline doesn't change. Even FCP X with its reworking of everything still slips slides rolls inserts overwrites, applies transitions, etc. They can call it what they want, it's still a timeline and when you hit play it's still linear. That said, if your students learn AVID MC they can learn the others. Maybe not the other way round. It is also $300 for multiple years of free upgrades. It is rock solid and no one claims its not professional. I'm going with FCP X for now with copies of MC for the serious ones. I am still conflicted about the choice; but after some time since Apple EOLed FCP 7, no one knows how the future will play out. Maybe it is for the better that one company does not dominate. On the other hand, it would be nice if we spent more time on our craft and less time learning new software.

MacPro4,1 2.66GHz 8 core 12gigs of ram. GPU: Nvidia Geoforce GT120 with Vram 512. OS X 10.6.x; Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170, Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]