APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Opinions on what NLE to teach on a new BA in Film & Screen Media Production

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Oliver Peters
Re: Opinions on what NLE to teach on a new BA in Film & Screen Media Production
on Feb 10, 2013 at 3:24:19 pm

[Ian Bailey] "I believe we should teach them what the industry will be using in 3-5 years time. I also think that graduates entering the industry will influence what technology will be used."

You are obviously making the assumption that will be FCP X. You could be completely right, however, there's nothing yet to indicate that being true, so it's just as much of a gamble as any other NLE. That "bet" is track-based versus trackless. If you teach FCP 7 or Premiere Pro, they can adapt to anything track-based later and in fact, moving to FCP X is also possible (with some head scratching). If you teach FCP X first, the transition to track-based (should they need to do so for a PAYING GIG) will be much harder.

Of the students I have taught, who are savvy to both technology and editing, many have found they prefer Media Composer, once they get used to it. And that's with prior exposure to FCP 7, FCP X and Premiere Pro. In fact I taught them FCP 7 (or earlier) and they later picked up Media Composer.

In my experience, I can have any class of students working productively on any NLE within two weeks time. This means that part of the answer is whether you actually teach them the mechanics of the NLE or give them the basics and then let them figure the rest out as they go along. In the first situation, any NLE will work. If the latter, then FCP X wins out.

But to put that into perspective, it's the same thing as comparing a Canon 7D to a RED or Alexa, if you are teaching cinematography. That isn't a low cost or high cost, consumer vs. pro statement. Rather one of simplified tools versus advanced tools that take a deeper dive to learn properly. If the goal is to teach lighting, optics, camera movement, then the Canon 7D is a great tool. If you want them to be employable in a market with more pro tools, then it does them a disservice. I see plenty of shooters who have worked on higher end cameras turn in great work with the HDSLRs. I rarely see it coming from folks who have attacked it from the other direction.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]