APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Opinions on what NLE to teach on a new BA in Film & Screen Media Production

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Ian Bailey
Re: Opinions on what NLE to teach on a new BA in Film & Screen Media Production
on Feb 10, 2013 at 1:33:22 pm

I'm also a teacher.

After running legacy FCP for ten years, we made the decision to switch to FCPX and couldn't be happier. The students love it and they're producing fantastic work. The two things that students always struggle with: the initial setting up / ingesting media and the exporting of their final piece are handled so much better in X than other NLE.

We always run a six hour film challenge with our first years: plan, shoot and edit a factual piece on a particular theme. In previous years we always gave then 30-60 minutes longer for them to finish their edit. When using FCPX they finished before the deadline.

People have been saying that we should teach students what the industry uses now. I believe we should teach them what the industry will be using in 3-5 years time. I also think that graduates entering the industry will influence what technology will be used. Film students embraced legacy FCP several years before it was taken seriously by the media industry.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]