APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Opinions on what NLE to teach on a new BA in Film & Screen Media Production

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Richard Herd
Re: Opinions on what NLE to teach on a new BA in Film & Screen Media Production
on Feb 10, 2013 at 8:44:00 am

I'm a teacher.

I taught Premiere Pro for the last 2 years. This year I purchased FCPX and am teaching it. I teach a lesson on dialogue editing. In PP, it took a week. In X, it took 50 minutes. L-cuts, J-cuts, audio mixing. It really sucks because now I have to come up with 4 more days of curriculum. I think we'll do dubstep remixes of Sinatra tunes.

In my opinion as a teacher and a freelancer (yeah, I've made 1,000 effing ads in a dead market, soul-crushing environment, can't wait to move), X is best. The folks who say X ain't for film are wrong.

The decision for Avid and PP has nothing to do with actual storytelling, editing for content type stuff. Avid is so clunky as to be embarrassing. PP still has that weird rendering-but-not-rendering in the bottom right but thankfully it integrates nicely with AE. Whew. Otherwise, we'd get it for free and let it sit on our HD for a decade.

(Swore off this damn forum. Hate to be back.) Truth is ... no... my experience mandates that your students touch X first. Get the story going. What editing is: it is not the most important part of a move. IT IS THE MOVIE!

Another detail, my first year students shoot on consumer panasonic cameras. My second year students shoot on Canon XA10. Actually, the Canon stinks to get the footage into the system.

You should've seen the first year students huddled around the iMac, collaborating, discussing shots and angles, and which one to use. This was day friggin' one. By my curriculum that's 10 times more efficient. When they have a question, I show them the next buttons and how deep the program actually is.

Look: If they can tell a story with motion picture and they have the drive for the entrepreneurial hustle, then maybe they can be so lucky as to get a shared corporate IT, low-risk permission, anti-hacker environment gig Avid is so proud of. Me? I installed a SAN and taught them how to make password protected sparse images to protect their work.

Ok. I'm very proud of my students.

Premiere upgrade arrives in 2 weeks.
Avid arrives in August.

They gotta know all three.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]