APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Opinions on what NLE to teach on a new BA in Film & Screen Media Production

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Franz Bieberkopf
Re: Opinions on what NLE to teach on a new BA in Film & Screen Media Production
on Feb 9, 2013 at 8:22:13 pm

Daniel,

Your issue is very much in line with questions I faced last spring and summer (and may well be facing again) - I designed and taught a 3rd year University level editing course. At that level, the students were already familiar with the software, and the course was focused on creative issues, but of course technology and workflow were also central.

I stayed with FCP7 for that experience, for several reasons.

First, it was what I was (and what I still am) using professionally. It's incredible to me that some 18months on, this so-called "dead" software is still the software of choice for me (for flexibility, reliability, familiarity in something like that order …).

Second, it was what the students knew, though most had a familiarity with Avid and Premiere as well. The media lab was outfitted with towers and FCP7 licenses (though Creative Suite was also on those machines ...)

Third, it's a good tool.

I may well be facing such questions again in the coming months, and while I am less certain what my answer would be, FCP7 would still be in the pool of consideration.

One discussion I had around this issue has stayed with me - that, in fact, the idea of deciding which NLE the students should use is less and less a useful question. If the students have tools and can edit on them, they should be able to use the NLE of their choice. There are issues with this, of course (which NLEs for the school to purchase, the question of accepting any number of project formats for evaluation and discussion) but it seems to me the way things are going.

The question of NLEs is no longer a monolithic choice.

Which is to say, I don't have a good answer for you - but in the first case I wouldn't discount FCP7 from the discussion, and I think your inclination to teach more than one NLE is a good one. From my perspective, we're still in a transitional phase of some sort as FCP7 limitations become less acceptable and the new tools develop - I'm pretty wary of those who think the transition is over. Teach the uncertainty.

Franz.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]