APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Opinions on what NLE to teach on a new BA in Film & Screen Media Production

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Bill Davis
Re: Opinions on what NLE to teach on a new BA in Film & Screen Media Production
on Feb 9, 2013 at 7:35:22 pm

I second David's overall message.

Editing isn't done by a NLE program. It's done by a person.

Every editing software from Windows Movie Maker to AVID can assemble scenes.

If your goal is to train for "personal" editing competence, I'd still tilt toward FCP-X simply because it has a wide modern focus that goes beyond timeline operations, incorporating data handling basics, taxonomy, and web deployment - tools for al of which are all built in.

If your students are looking to work into filling seats as professional editors where the bulk of what they'll do is precision timeline editing and full production - focusing on AVID would be smart.

Many who don't like AVID and feel that X is to "non-standard" feel really comfortable with Premier Pro. As part of the creative suite, it's a really good doorway to editing in the more traditional mode.

My view anyway.

Also if you're teaching editing, you might check out my sig line.

SEN is totally software agnostic and comes with licensed practice content built precisely for classroom editing use.

Hope that helps.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]