APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: The (still) temporary Verdict: FinalCutProX usable for Pro's?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Gary Huff
Re: The (still) temporary Verdict: FinalCutProX usable for Pro's?
on Feb 8, 2013 at 3:17:52 am

[Steve Connor] " I've used it on a feature, only because I'm an Apple fanboy though and of course it was cheap"

Walter Murch totally comes across as an Apple fanboy to me in Behind the Seen, basically willing to test a $83 million dollar movie on an early version of Final Cut with the powers that be at Apple basically being a complete dick to him the entire time. In fact, he came very close to not pulling it off, and only via a third party that took a chance that Apple would completely disown them was what allowed him to make it happen.

Premiere CS6 is kicking ass for me. I have a music video coming out in a few days I did in X that worked out fine, but I ran into the third-party plugin bug which made me compromise what I wanted to do with the piece. The color board is not intuitive to anyone who is familiar with the standard color wheel representation, and the damn magnetic timeline doesn't help with precision-type editing.

My current project involves a hell of a lot of animated elements (provided for me in .PSDs) and that would be virtually impossible to do in FCPX without resorting to Motion, but then there's nothing analogous to Dynamic Link yet, so I would have to render out an intermediate every single time there's a change (and there have been plenty of those).

Instead, editing this project on Premiere CS6 on a Windows workstation, I have each of my animated elements in an After Effects composition that's dynamically linked to the timeline. Every change is automagically updated without having to do anything. I have the edits exactly where I need them to be for the flow of the piece without having to mess around with the crazy way the timeline works in X. On top of that, I have Curves built in without having to resort to a paid third-party plugin!

Finally, I had a unique situation that I will share. This project was shot on a C100. The first time was AVCHD + ProRes 422 HQ via the Ninja-2. I edited the original footage from the ProRes clips. Well, the client decided to reshoot to condense some material and present it in a slightly different way. ProRes is overkill for this project, so to save space, I simply relinked all the media from the Ninja-2 ProRes HQ files to the AVCHD from the internal recording. It worked perfectly. FCPX, on the other hand, can't even accept clips if they are updated with audio tracks added! Granted a very unique scenario, but just another way in which working in Premiere makes me happy.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]