APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: MacPro Discontinued in Europe on Mar 1st - Beating the pessimists to the punch!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Craig Seeman
Re: MacPro Discontinued in Europe on Mar 1st - Beating the pessimists to the punch!
on Feb 2, 2013 at 7:05:09 am

They're not pulling PCIe. I suspect there will be 16x PCIe slots. At least one if not two. That's needed for GPUs and a few other cards that are 8 or 16 lance cards.

The current MacPro
http://www.apple.com/macpro/specs.html
Three open full-length PCI Express expansion slots6
One PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot
Two PCI Express 2.0 x4 slots

The two PCIe 4x slots will be gone. I think they may ADD a 16x slot, which would be a very good improvement for power users. I certainly don't think they'll take away the 16x slot.

It's possible that the config might be something like
2 16x slots
4 Thunderbolt ports each is 4x and can be daisy chained and one can add a chassis for addition slots.
This would make for a smaller case but actually more expandable.

The unknown is how they handle the GPU. Currently it's on a 16x slot. I think there's some possibility they can put a GPU on the motherboard especially given what HP managed to do in their $6500 beast laptop noted in another thread. There could be a design with GPU on mobo for Thunderbolt to drive external monitor and additional 16x slots for GPU available for other tasks.

Everything is debatable but here's some things to ponder.
There hasn't been a Xeon proc motherboard with Thunderbolt.
To date all Thunderbolt computers have had GPUs on the motherboard.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]