APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: FCPX glitchy renders -- causes, severity, workarounds?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Walter Soyka
Re: FCPX glitchy renders -- causes, severity, workarounds?
on Jan 31, 2013 at 5:12:49 pm

[Oliver Peters] "Seems to be a variety of third party filters, including MB Looks, Pomfort and Tonalizer. Workaround is to render 8-bit uncompressed or export via Send To Compressor. It's an Apple problem according to all developer comments. It looks like Motion templates that stick to an Apple workflow (no hacks under the hood) are OK."

Cool. Thank you, Oliver.

I do wonder why 8bUnc works and nothing else does? Doesn't that imply there's a different processing pathway?

And am I understanding correctly that glitch frames only occur when sharing directly from FCPX, and not when sending to Compressor?

[Jeremy Garchow] "The only glitchy renders I have seen is using the Pomfort filter to do a log to 709 color transform. This also happened in FCP7. What footage are you going to be using?"

Thanks, Jeremy. Footage is ProRes 422, coming from a Ki Pro. It's a full green screen project with light compositing but wall-to-wall graphics.

I'm finding that the FCPX keyer is just insanely fast, and has pretty decent auto-settings -- but I'm still struggling a bit refining the edges on hair to the point where I am happy with them. (This may be operator error, and I'm going to give it another go.)

By contrast, in Ae, I was able to pull some great keys with a couple layers of Primatte, at the cost of the longest set-up time and the slowest renders. In Smoke, I was able to pull very good keys including hair with a single Master Keyer node, with the fastest set-up time and very reasonable render times.

I'm confident I could have improved those results by adding another keyer node or by doing some additional edge manipulations, but I had to turn off and stow my electronic devices and return my tray and seat back to their upright, locked positions. The fact that I did all that on my laptop on a plane impressed me, and should make Bill happy!

Back on the graphics side, I'm really, really frustrated with the lack of expressions in Motion. This will not work if I have to expose a dozen parameter to the editor in FCPX that all needed to be manually animated, when this could be reduced to one or two sliders in an Ae template with some expressions.

Back to the drawing board...

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]