APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: FCP X and long form

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Mark Dobson
Re: FCP X and long form
on Jan 16, 2013 at 7:41:31 pm

Hi Oliver,

I've done a couple of long-form edits. Nothing quite as exciting as documentaries and movies.

These have been edit of 2 one day conferences one a 3 camera shoot and the other a 2 camera shoot. Aaaaargh!

The first one produced a 4 hr master which for expediency I split into 3 sections ( for eventual distribution on DVD ) This was edited together from 3 cameras, 2 x xf305 and 1 x EX1 resulting in a total of over 12 hrs material. Unfortunately the job was a real pain because the files from the EX1 had to be synced manually. ( FCPX ver10.0.3 I think )

But the system itself, FCPX running on a 2008 quad core with 22GB ram coped fine apart from the obvious long time for any universal rendering.

The second job was a one day conference recorded on a C300 and XF305. This resulted in an edited back master of 50 minutes and went very smoothly despite the ten hours worth of combined footage / files. Again despite numerous spinning ball type force quits and a long wait for renders this job went very smoothly.

Both these jobs were filmed and edited at 1080P ( @ 25P here in UK ) with all the files on external GTech drives connected via ESata.

I produced 1080p Pro-Res 422 edit masters and produced my deliverables from these. Were I to do these jobs again the overhaul of the function of compound clips with the release of 10.0.6 would speed things up.

The way I have learnt to work with FCPX is to spilt the edit into fairly short sections and then bring these together in a master project as they become formalised.

Fulfilling these 2 edits has given me an added confidence in FCPX as most of my edits are 10 to 30 minutes.

Mark

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]