APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: FCPX proving to be very fast

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Nikolas Bäurle
Re: FCPX proving to be very fast
on Jan 12, 2013 at 7:57:40 pm

FCPX will establish itself as a great software. These discussions remind me of the time back in 2001 when I decided to start using FCP 2.0. At the time I was working for one of Germany's top commercial directors. He adopted FCP, and we cut everything on miniDV, and exportet EDLs. Das Werk, where he did the finishing hated FCP, but they had to deal with it.

A small postproduction I work for has been using FCPX for over a year now. We had problems at first, of course FCPX was to blame, very slow rendering. But I kept on telling them to check their harddrives. A week later their Raids broke down. After that everything worked fine.

At another somewhat bigger Postproduction I work for, the Chief Editor hates FCPX but she only tried it a couple of hours. She even claimed FCPX would never establish itself. This comes from an editor who only knows FCP Legacy, doesn't like Premiere and hates Avid, for whatever reason, probably since working fx in Avid is pretty tedious. But she's a very good editor. However I believe, like in many cases she doesn't want to have to adapt to something new. A conversation with her (originally in German):

She "Nik, FCP7 won't die, don't worry."

Me "Really..."

She "You can't edit features length films on X, I tried it out."

Me "Danni Lowinsky is edited on FCPX and Knut Hake just finished his second feature on it"

She "On X?"

Me "Yeah."

She "Aha...."

This is what I experience a lot, editors not using it have the biggest opinions, especially if they've never used FCP Legacy.
For what I do, I don't miss anything from Legacy. Magazine, Feature, Experimental, Music Videos, Industry, works great.

Craigs experience at BBC is quite refreshing to me. I also work at DW-TV in Berlin. Wish they had the same attitude BBC has. But this year they want to try and get rid of most Soundtechnicians and Editors for news and features and have journalists and translators do everything themselves. Write edit speak. On a really crappy VPMS system, which is actually used to move sequences around. It can only do hard cuts and sound dissolves. And sofar it takes longer and the sound is horrible.

I'm sorry for this long rant... :-)

Nik

http://www.nikedit.com

"Always look on the bright side of life" - Monty Python

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]