APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: FCPX proving to be very fast

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Herb Sevush
Re: FCPX proving to be very fast
on Jan 12, 2013 at 6:45:59 pm

[Bill Davis] "First, back in the early days, the fact that X has the "work with thumbnails IMMEDIATELY, then transcode Optimized and Proxy as needed" saved me personally WELL over 10 times the amount of time from "start" to "getting stuff done" when I switched from Legacy to X in the beginning. So I personally feel that in the area of "starting line" productivity - a 10x timesaving over Legacy was a vast understatement."

So a 2 week job could be done in 2 days? That's a lot of transcoding. Let's assume that's true, it's merely an argument for any of a number of NLE's over Legacy - PPro, Avid, Edius, FCPX - they are all "edit anything on the timeline editors." This ability is not what makes FCPX unique although the lack of this ability is what makes FCP Legacy archaic for many people. But not for me. Very little, less than 5%, of anything that hits my timeline is from P2 or DSLR or HDV or anything other than ProRes 422, so like you I start editing the moment media is copied to my hard drives.

[Bill Davis] "Since I'd just put the spots on an X timeline, I asked them to hold a second and used the X Share menu to dump the spots to my Vimeo Pro account, (literally a 1-step process in X directly from the timeline) made a quick password-protected Portfolio while we were continuing our conversation (another 45 seconds) - and emailed the client a link to the portfolio all while I was still on the phone. They forwarded that link to their clients and within literally 3 minutes , the spots from my X timeline were being watched by anyone around the world the agency wanted to send the links and passwords to.Time saved by me being an X user? Judged agains their original request of burning and shipping off a DVD? - days. And even just time saved over transcoding and emailing or using YouSendIt to distribute it would easily fit that 10 to 1 time savings."

This is an example of "button counting." Yes, for this one part of a project you probably saved 5 minutes, however workflow inabilities, like the inability to match to the master clip from a multiclip, might make the overall project time much longer than doing a similar project in Legacy. This is why the only time comparisons I find relevant are those for completion of a project end to end. Such and such a project used to take me 20 days, I now find I can do it in X number of days. If the project is defined and I can elate to it, then I can relate to the time savings.

As for the specific example you gave of posting your sample within 3 minutes, I can tell you that exporting and sending out a file by Yousendit takes a heck of a lot less than 30 minutes. Less than 10 would be more like it. Still an advantage for X, but nothing near 10x1.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]