APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: FCPX proving to be very fast

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Bill Davis
Re: FCPX proving to be very fast
on Jan 12, 2013 at 12:18:28 am

Well,

I agree with your central contention, Herb.

But two things.

First, back in the early days, the fact that X has the "work with thumbnails IMMEDIATELY, then transcode Optimized and Proxy as needed" saved me personally WELL over 10 times the amount of time from "start" to "getting stuff done" when I switched from Legacy to X in the beginning. So I personally feel that in the area of "starting line" productivity - a 10x timesaving over Legacy was a vast understatement.

Second, just day before yesterday, I got a call from the agency folks using a pair of voiceovers I'd recorded to promote a high end golf accessory. The project is for a division of one of the the HUGE japanese manufacturing firms familiar to everyone - folks at corporate were having problems viewing the finished spots and my contact knew that I'd just taken digital delivery of the final video files from the West Coast agency with my VOs in place. So they asked me if I could transcode the ProRes 422 HQ files into something to email to them and what would be the best format for the widest compatibility?

Since I'd just put the spots on an X timeline, I asked them to hold a second and used the X Share menu to dump the spots to my Vimeo Pro account, (literally a 1-step process in X directly from the timeline) made a quick password-protected Portfolio while we were continuing our conversation (another 45 seconds) - and emailed the client a link to the portfolio all while I was still on the phone. They forwarded that link to their clients and within literally 3 minutes , the spots from my X timeline were being watched by anyone around the world the agency wanted to send the links and passwords to.

Time saved by me being an X user? Judged agains their original request of burning and shipping off a DVD? - days. And even just time saved over transcoding and emailing or using YouSendIt to distribute it would easily fit that 10 to 1 time savings.

So the 10 to 1 concept isn't baseless. It (like everything else) needs to be contextualized.

There are areas and operations where X will save an editor way more than 10 times the effort - and yes, plenty of areas where it can easily take significantly LONGER to use X to do something that can be done more easily in another tool. And the less practiced the X editor, the LONGER it will likely to take someone to do things because they simply haven't done their re-orientation and new process learning.

That's the truth of the matter. What X does well, it often does REALLY, REALLY well. And where it fall short - it falls short. Only the individual editor can know which will be true for them - but the other truth is that until an editor actually learns to operate it properly, it's impossible to really fully grasp how it MIGHT enable time or effort savings.

This thread is growing because Craig has clearly gotten to a place where he sees the value built into it for the tasks that he needs to accomplish.

All that says is that the tool is capable. Not perfect, not ideal, but capable of high level work and of doing that work very efficiently.

Which some of us suspected for quite a while now.

It's good to see more and more confirmation of those facts.

And it's exciting to see where X will go as it keeps developing!

But wholesale dismissal of the idea of X being a "high efficiency" editing solution is going to be a harder and harder case to make - when more and more qualified editors are willing to support that idea.

FWIW.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]