APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: FCPX proving to be very fast

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

David Powell
Re: FCPX proving to be very fast
on Jan 11, 2013 at 11:24:19 pm

I can say from experience that right off the bat, FCP X is faster at importing non-native media than say Avid and FCP 7 and seems to have a superior playback engine. I just finished a 3 cam multi shoot and finished the whole project with even optimizing or using proxy media on a 2011 imac i7 16g. It also seems to render fx and output quite a lot faster than Avid though, there is a major issue with corrupt frames currently on exports.

Once you actually start working on the timeline it is far slower for trimming than Avid (fcp 7 trimming sucks as well imo). If you know how to use avid properly there are a lot of timeline features that are sorely missed and just could not work with the clip connected paradigm.

As cool as the multi cam editor is in X, it doesn't allow you to matchframe to the original clip which is a real pain. I also hate the fact that I can't have floating bins/keywords or thumbnail view.

Also features like "find gap/flashframe are important to me and are missing. Therefore I don't think it could be said that X is "faster" overall than A or Z, but it can be for certain task or media. I think it kills on Avid/FCP for DSLR editing and the Proxy/Original media that switches with a checkmark is awesome.

I would never want to offline cut a narrative in X though over Avid. IMO this is where the joy of editing is and X takes it away.

So to sum up I would say X is faster at everything up to where you start cutting. If I worked as an Editor with AE's prepping the project, I'd never want to use it, but for certain jobs that I have to do everything it can be quite faster to load in and just start cutting.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]