APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Smoke 2013

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Sandeep Sajeev
Re: Smoke 2013
on Dec 21, 2012 at 5:20:35 am

I've been using it since the first Pre-Release. Will definitely pick up a license. At this price point (even without the discount) it's a no-brainer.

Things I love: Paint, Tracking, Stabilization, CFX and Action on one machine. Having all of this accessible without having to switch away from my timeline in the offline process is very satisfying.

Things I dislike: having to render constantly, and the fact that you don't have playback while rendering. This can be a killer if you've got a client in the room, especially one who is accustomed to the speed of the FFI boxes.

Things I can't fathom: the lack of the following- 3D tracker, Particles, Projections.

It's no longer as fast as the Linux boxes, but the feature set is tremendous. It requires a lot of time to get really proficient with CFX and Action, despite how simple things appear in the demos - if you want to be able to give clients everything they want, it'll take a few months of dedicated effort to reach that point. I've seen it mentioned somewhere that all it takes is a couple of days to get up to speed with Batch (CFX) and Action - but this is simply not true.

So in my opinion, if you're willing to put in the time, accept the holes in it's feature set, and adapt some of your existing workflows, then Smoke is a good addition to an editors skillset.

Oh and unlike the Flame box (mentioned by James) it deals very well with ProRes - infact you can set your Intermediates to various flavours of ProRes if you don't need to work in DPX...

Sandeep.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]