APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: FCP X as a database and a PIOP nightmare

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jeremy Garchow
Re: FCP X as a database and a PIOP nightmare
on Nov 10, 2012 at 1:44:38 am

[David Lawrence] "Right. But compound clips have nothing to do with an editor wanting to mark their next cut."

No no brother. That's not what I am saying. I am saying the ins and outs of compound clips are a fixed version of traditional in and out points, that ignore ranges.

Like this:

in_out.png

So now when we start adding ranges to this PIOP idea, and we start sorting clips by range views, flimstrip views, etc, the ins and outs won't make any sense. If you are saying you want to attach an in point and an out point to a clip, like a marker, then I guess I see how that could happen, I just don't know what it will accomplish that ranges don't. You can add an in point and out, and sort the clips by another set of data and then the in and out will get all jumbled up.

Let's say you mark an in and out on a clip that's 5 minutes long, and you have 10 favorite ranges within that 5 minute in and out range.

You sort the (*edit) Event by favorites which makes 10 "clips" from that one clip. Now your in and out is spread out across two clips that are now discontinuous. What does FCPX do? What if you then want to sort back to all clips, does fcpx add back the original 5 min in and out? What if you take 5 of those 10 clips, mark their own in and out and want to add those to the end of the timeline? Then you sort back to all clips? Which in and out is kept?

This is the same argument rehashed from earlier discussions on PIOPs.

They should have just left alone and gave people more time to adapt.

The Event browser, when you start using it for all of it's dynamic capabilities, doesn't fit a traditional in/out structure, at least in my opinion. The favorite system, works very well, even if you have to add a key to your in/out marking process.

[David Lawrence] "Yes, but maybe there's another reason some interface metaphors have stood the test of time. Maybe it's because they're appropriate and they work well. Technology is just one aspect of Human Interface Design.

Don't get me wrong. I love innovation and appreciate Apple's drive to push it. There are many great new ideas in FCPX and it continues to get better with every release. But I think we agree there's also a lot of room for improvement.

I believe the best way to move FCPX forward is to maintain a healthy critical eye and dialogue. It's good for FCPX, for Apple, and ultimately us as editors. Otherwise, we're more likely to see future design nightmares as programmers add new features. Another reason why this forum continues to be interesting and relevant."

And I think we have seen that PIOPs aren't working well here. It's time to change it up, which was happening, until Apple did us a solid by adding an old "feature" metaphor back due to user demand.

The people wanted PIOPs, they delivered. I know, I keep saying that.

I just wish Apple would carry out the ultimate vision, get in all the features they want without compromise. There's evidence of what is possible, this latest released showed us a lot. It's still not perfect, I've always known and said there's room for improvement, but that is true of all software, even the most "mature".

Jeremy

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]