APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: FCP X as a database and a PIOP nightmare

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

David Lawrence
Re: FCP X as a database and a PIOP nightmare
on Nov 10, 2012 at 12:02:39 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "The range selection tool is timeline only in FCP7. You simply cannot perform the same browser side functions in 7 as you can in X with ranges as they simply don't exist. "

Yes.

[Jeremy Garchow] "You can't set the beginning/end of range with keyboard shortcuts in 7, and actions applied to ranges are applied to that one clip only."

Yes.

[Jeremy Garchow] "It's a different ballgame."

Yes, and...

that does not change the fact that a range selection is still a range selection.

[Jeremy Garchow] "FCPX does have fixed in out markers when opening a compound clip. They are determined by the boundary of the compound in the enclosing timeline.

This functionality would not work very well the Event Browser, especially when you start to sort clips by Favorite, Keyword, Filmstrip, etc. It will fall down very quickly and start to not make sense, but that seems pretty obvious, right?"

Right. But compound clips have nothing to do with an editor wanting to mark their next cut.

[Jeremy Garchow] "I mean, Apple added exactly what was wanted, and you really think they didn't thought this through, or is it was designed "by a programmer and not an engineer because engineers don't know us like we know us"?"

Yep, I think the evidence speaks for itself. Why else would your selection workflow would be messed up right now? Apple's recent history is filled with examples of poorly thought out software design choices. Breaking the "Save As" command Mac OSX Lion, for example.

[Jeremy Garchow] "I've asked for an off switch or modifier."

Sure, that would help. But ultimately it's a band-aid. I think a better approach would be for them to get the PIOP design right. It's very doable.

[Jeremy Garchow] "It's annoying to you, but not to everyone. I believe that the way to move FCPX forward is not to turn off the magnetic timeline which has been asked over and over in this forum. As a matter of fact, the magnetic timeline does turn off if you know how to use it and it's been there since day 1, like favorites."

[Jeremy Garchow] "There is no editing 101 when it comes to interface, only metaphors to technical limitations that have existed for a very long time."

Yes, but maybe there's another reason some interface metaphors have stood the test of time. Maybe it's because they're appropriate and they work well. Technology is just one aspect of Human Interface Design.

Don't get me wrong. I love innovation and appreciate Apple's drive to push it. There are many great new ideas in FCPX and it continues to get better with every release. But I think we agree there's also a lot of room for improvement.

I believe the best way to move FCPX forward is to maintain a healthy critical eye and dialogue. It's good for FCPX, for Apple, and ultimately us as editors. Otherwise, we're more likely to see future design nightmares as programmers add new features. Another reason why this forum continues to be interesting and relevant.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]