APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: 10.0.6 a significant turning point.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Keith Koby
Re: 10.0.6 a significant turning point.
on Nov 7, 2012 at 5:24:37 pm

We are putting events and projects on the san using san locations. The media itself is elsewhere, centrally located, on the san and the option to copy the media into the event on import is turned off. We've had multiple x instances using the same media at the same time, but the san location containing the event and project folders with the dbs is only accessible to one editor at a time. It gives you a little message saying that the san location is in use by "userA" on "computerB" for example when you try to add the san location to a second x instance while it is open on the first.

So this is pretty much the same as 7. You'd have one user in a project at a time and no more, or you'd potentially save over top of each other. In X you have one user in an event or project at a time because of limitations on the db files. If you need to share an event or a project at the same time, export an xml and import it on the second station.

You could also duplicate the san location in the finder I think and then add the san location on the second computer.

It's no better or worse than 7 as far as project sharing goes on a san, at least for now. I hope that this will change in the future, but there are obvious hurdles to get over for this app to achieve it's full sharing potential (using a db that can be read by more than one user at a time for example).

This thing could really be great for collaboration some day though. I believe that it will get there. That is one reason that I'm really excited about it and pushing for us to use it. In some ways, I'll admit, I'm betting on it. The ceiling of this app is way higher than anything else out there.

Keith Koby
Sr. Director Post-Production Engineering
iNDEMAND NETWORKS
Howard TV!/Movies On Demand/iNDEMAND Pay-Per-View/iNDEMAND 3D

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]