APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: FCP X as a database and a PIOP nightmare

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

David Lawrence
Re: FCP X as a database and a PIOP nightmare
on Nov 7, 2012 at 5:08:51 pm

[Oliver Peters] "It's a prime example of an editorial feature designed by a programmer and not an editor."

[Jeremy Garchow] "BS. They gave the people exactly what they wanted. "People" clamored for PIOPs, and that's exactly what was delivered. Besides the multiple range capability, they work exactly like FCP7, is it not what people asked for? FCP8?"

I finally had a chance to download and play with 10.0.6 so now I understand your frustration. You're right. Apple blew it with PIOPS.

But Oliver's exactly right too. The reason they blew it is because ProApps engineers 1) oversimplified the selection paradigm and 2) misunderstood what editors were asking for.

The problem stems from a core design mistake - mixing range selection with marking IN and Out points. These are two entirely different editorial intentions.

Ins and Outs are marks.

Range often has nothing to do with why editors mark in and/or out. That's why in FCP7, you have a Range Selection Tool (GGG).

In FCPX, marking in and out has been folded into the Range Selection Tool. This oversimplification is why adding persistence breaks the selection model.

What I think editors have been asking for and what should have been added, are a new class of In/Out markers.

The rules should be simple and obvious -- only one In and/or Out per clip. If set, they persist and take priority, and other than that, if you don't want to use them, don't set them and everything works as before -- the range In/Outs take over.

Range selection is not the same as marking In/Out.

Oliver's right. The PIOPs mess is a crystal clear example of what happens when programmers design UI without understanding what the end user really wants.

Also, no PIOPs on the timeline = FAIL.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]