APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: FCP X as a database

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jeremy Garchow
Re: FCP X as a database
on Nov 7, 2012 at 3:24:30 am

[Aindreas Gallagher] "If I walk in to refine a five month old ad at a facility, and like a photo archive, there are seven or eight odd events open in FCPX from the last guy, what exactly in the hell are my instructions? are they finder instructions? What folders am I moving? Not alone am I being asked to say mount an event and its bits and pieces from a disk image, am I to also deactivate the previous evenings events and projects? Or is that the other guys job? given that the app functions as a bloody photo style archive?"

Eh, f*ck. This is getting crazy. All of this makes more sense if you actually know how to use the program and have actually tried to send something to someone else. It clicks. Really fast.

FCP7 projects can be just as messy, but there's one caveat, that bin structure is fixed. Not so in FCPX. You can keep another editors keyword collections and start your own all over very easily, very quickly, and most importantly non destructively, except for those g*d damn PIOPs which have seriously destroyed a good system, especially when using other people's projects.

Just because the ever loving program doesn't spread sh*t around like FCP7, doesn't make it any worse.

The Events are tidy packages, they are REALLY easy to follow. They work the exact same way on every FCPX install, you put them in the right folder and the bloody things mount. Every time.

You take them out, and they don't mount. Every time.

You don't have to open a project, search for media spread out all over only the original editor knows where.

If working with aliased Events, there are really easy tools to make the Events "self contained".

At some point, you have to stand up, grab your testovaries, and declare yourself a professional and that includes handing off a project in a way that the next guy/gal can handle it. IF you inherit a big ugly mess (which can happen in any NLE) FCPX can allow to absolutely plow through general groupings in a flash and you don't have to try and decipher what form of sanscrit the previous editor studied in college. Simply single click on the Event and you can see every single piece of media and get to work.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]