APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: FCP X as a database

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Aindreas Gallagher
Re: FCP X as a database
on Nov 6, 2012 at 11:15:23 pm

look -I'll go with some of this, with massive caveats:

Oliver Peters is making, to my reading, some pretty heavy points above, about the load issue with FCPX in complex projects where the component parts are distributed between projects and events - but. Charlie -

You cannot deny that you are in a different house now

[Charlie Austin] "Can't be? The Event is the project."

so thats wrong.
the event is a declared point of footage call (or is it?). Given that multiple event calls may occur over even say a ten day commercial project, are you willing to flow them into a single event, or do you begin to produce multiple events to delineate significantly different material? Is it event worthy? or do you try to hive it into tags?

Follow me here: Events are a little too important, and they don't do quite enough. And yet there is nothing beyond or above them.
forget that we can make disk images externally to cobble the parts of a given piece together (which is a hack)

the problem here is that there is nothing to intellectually hold those events, that will arise, together within FCPX. they are all just stars on the far right.

FCPX, as an editing system, simply lacks an editing project organisational transparency layer for the editor who might walk into it freelance.

How. In the everliving hell. Does no one see. this?

If I walk in to refine a five month old ad at a facility, and like a photo archive, there are seven or eight odd events open in FCPX from the last guy, what exactly in the hell are my instructions? are they finder instructions? What folders am I moving? Not alone am I being asked to say mount an event and its bits and pieces from a disk image, am I to also deactivate the previous evenings events and projects? Or is that the other guys job? given that the app functions as a bloody photo style archive?

This system as an editing system needs to be able to call and reconfigure its elements (that is to say call and negate all projects and call and negate all events) at the behest of a client specific number coded application call.

because right now its like saying we should all edit in one guy's copy of itunes. where we deactivate playlists, or photo archives or something.

my point is that - if FCPX cannot assemble an externally identifiable project file - then FCPX needs to be able to completely swop out all of its events and projects instantaneously, at some kind of externally driven command.

or we just accept that its a pretty hilarious/horrible misfire going nowhere - and go about our other business.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]