APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: FCP X as a database

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Bret Williams
Re: FCP X as a database
on Nov 6, 2012 at 6:49:11 pm

Wow, uh no. One of the most idiotic things about FCP 1-7 was that in order to access media from another project, was that you had to access THAT project. Then potentially capturing to that project, or screwing up that project, or having just to OPEN that huge project. Media should be separate from projects. And one could argue that Avid has a slight edge in the way they do it in that bins are grouped and stored in general with a particular project, but can be opened within any project. Avid makes sure you can only have one project open, so the nature to screw up another project by opening one of it's bins doesn't exist.

But X takes it one step better I think by separating the two (you could of course archive an event and a proejct together on a drive assuming you have some basic understanding of the finder) so that footage can be grouped by project (just name the event the same as the project, duh) or can be more like the photography motif you're getting at. Kinda depends on what you're doing.

For example, when I worked at Georgia Tech some 19 years ago, we shot and logged sports footage 3-4 days a week. No clue what or when or where or how it was going to be used. We used the videocube FYI. We created bins for the sports and sorted clips by game and date, etc. There were no projects at all on the videocube. Just sequences and bins. You had to do your own organization at the finder. So what we were doing was exactly like the event structure, just not as searchable.

It all seems pretty basic, simple, powerful and extensible. The only thing I might ask for is some sort of an event and project manager built in so that they can be mounted and unmounted without an add-on app. And Oliver makes a good point in that it would be extremely useful to have events be grouped into at least "virtual" folders for obvious organizational reasons and benefits.

I'm completley utterly right, no? :)

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]