APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: FCP X as a database

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Paul Dickin
Re: FCP X as a database
on Nov 6, 2012 at 1:06:57 pm

[Oliver Peters] "there is ZERO database functionality outside of the Events currently visible inside FCP X"

[Jeremy Garchow] "The event and project structure is real close to what you find in the Finder and its all in one place. "

[Aindreas Gallagher] "in essence an event is neither, and can be neither, a classical bin within a project super structure, or a classical project containing footage and sequences."

Hi
For historical reasons I am stuck in FCP 5-7 with an extended (2005-2012) project cluster derived from an archive of 3000+ digibeta tapes. In FCP 7 media managing the hundreds of mini-projects using and reusing this footage is really problematic.

Identification (= correcting misidentification in the original digibeta tape logs) has created a huge metadata pool. Ditto fragmentation - putting original footage back into one metadata bin. Archiving each individual mini-project's media (with shortened handles) creates further fragmentation. The magnitude of all these data stores isn't manageable within FCP 7, nor easily in the Finder. CatDV helps, also the dozens of notebooks I keep.

How would I want to go forward with this? And how would Apple's reincarnation of FCP X help? What sort of data-management/database do I need?

One thing I don't need is each assembly of related shots which comprised one mini-project in FCP 7 to continue to exist as a 'project'. All I need is a 'movie file' in a container (at Finder level) that would allow me to break it open to see the individual component clips and read the clip's source metadata. Isn't that what FCP X's Combined Clips are?

In my utopian view the Finder (tablet stylee) is hidden - except to 'developers' ;-), and the OS has a movie container format viewer (son of QuickTime) that directly opens Compound Clip movies in read-only mode.
But for an editor like me these CC's are editable in an application (FCP X)...

So in FCP X I would need a 'Finder-view' to show appropriate files on hard drives etc, which would include CC-like clips. Isn't this what the Event library is?

BUT. When I'm writing I don't want my books defaced with my metadata scribbling and with pages torn out and pasted into a work-in-progress scrapbook - the books get ruined in the process...

What I need for writing is a (digital) COPY of the original books etc. So in FCP X the Event is my view of the source assets, but I don't want my scribbling and page tearing (PIOPs) to apply to Event assets directly, but to Clip Collections created for my specific edit project.

I've been writing in a program called Scrivener which allows every sentence that I write to be annotated on associated metadata pages - its a five+ window application, file browser, text entry page, summary outliner, Inspector with added metadata fields like origination date and URL etc. and a separate document viewer window. This workflow is really productive.

So I'm looking at FCP X's workflows in the same way: It seems right to me that any editing metadata (PIOPs) I want to add to the project has to be achieved by a deliberate action - creation of a Favorite or metadata range etc.

As the Event is a 'global' creation (like books on a shelf) the core assets need to be kept intact and unaltered. But the Event can be added to by metadata creations - Collections and CCs etc which are added to the (virtual) shelf of my library.

The Projects are a separate entity - my thesis created from my reading of my library. The timeline, which can be turned into a CC and put in the Event library for future use.

In my utopian view I hope the puck is headed towards a YouTube/Google-like future where video assets are compound clips that can be broken down to be recycled, and documents, like web pages, have inbuilt metadata linkages that lead to all relevant source assets - text, pix etc.

I don't know enough about database structures to know how all the metadata associations inherent in this utopia 'relate'. ;-)

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]