APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: FCP X as a database

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Charlie Austin
Re: FCP X as a database
on Nov 5, 2012 at 11:47:48 pm

[Oliver Peters]
Sort of. They are only analogous to bins (in the application's use of the term within the UI) if we are restricting that to bins that contain only subclips. Master clips only exist at the Event level.

Well, based on how I organize things, I respectfully disagree. If I get a folder (named Feature) with 6 reels of a feature from a client, and drag that folder onto the event, it creates a Collection (bin... named Feature) which contains all my master clips. The same thing happens if I drag that folder into FCP 7. Now it's true, since a collection is basically just a user defined sorted view of the event, if I delete the Collection, my master clips still exist in the event but that's not a bad thing. if i want to delete the actual clips i have to explicitly choose to move them to the trash. From the collection or the event. My point is that Collections are, organizationally, the same as bins. I can put master clips in them, make them show sub clips, whatever. Same thing. What can you not do with a keyword collection that you can do with a bin?

[Oliver Peters] But veering back on-topic, the idea that FCP X Events = FCP 7 Projects = MC Bins supports the original notion that I started with. Namely... How is the database structure of X really all that different than what's come before it? I contend it's not. Merely that the databasing method is different in the programming sense, but hardly different in any practical way that the user cares about.

I can't answer that because I'm not a database programmer. All I can tell you is that it is light years easier to sort, find, arrange, categorize, tag, etc. media than in any other NLE I've used. If it is in fact the same as everything else, than everyone else needs to step up their game. :-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]