APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: FCP X as a database

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Aindreas Gallagher
Re: FCP X as a database
on Nov 5, 2012 at 11:22:21 pm

[Oliver Peters] "the issue with Events is that you cannot organize a set of Events into a folder, since the Event has to exist at the root-level of the drive. (You can do this with Bins in MC or FCP7 or PPro.) That's unlike Projects, where Project files can be buried into folders and subfolders several deep."

Given the lack of in anger usage, I'm not qualified to speak to this, but I kind of instinctively agree that there is an issue with events as the primary spring moving down into exposed semantic tags, over right into the event browser, then being acted upon by calling up a sequence/project.

basically I think events are too tank like, and fundamentally misfired as primary editing data objects containers - in essence an event is neither, and can be neither, a classical bin within a project super structure, or a classical project containing footage and sequences. In my limited experience, I think the "it gets compound clips" does not answer the issue of a basic hierarchy flaw?
Fine that its a locked off silo, although thats really not fine - but really what apple are saying is that the primary object, the first thing you call into existence, is a photo bank style archive of material. Not an over arching editing project container. This approach of gunning the photography reels in, as a monolithic block , is true of most photography software, and that is the model Apple have appropriated here.

but in editing, the primary object is not the specific card banks coming in, or the container they might reside in - the primary object is the client or personally assigned editing goal - that is the entire game - new every time - You name the project with what it is designed to be, and begin assembling the myriad bits of material associated with the overall editorial.

and so then -

because the ingest event is the application ceiling, Apple have effectively lopped the head off the editing organisational structure - it is dispersed into undifferentiated events and projects - hence we all get to deactivate events - on a per session basis, in order to try to re-assert basic per project priority.

To be more plain: everywhere anyone walks into - You have assigned editing objects - but those objects are editorial, narrative, or commercial goals - those are the over riding concern - not the video data containers they might contain. The fact that FCPX cannot configure itself to represent a single goal, as opposed to an archive of events and dispersed editing sequences, means that - and this should come as no surprise to anyone, not alone is FCPX going nowhere, its almost impossible to see how it could ever have gone anywhere. We're talking an incredibly fundamental flaw in approach no?

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]