APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: FCP X as a database

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Carsten Orlt
Re: FCP X as a database
on Nov 5, 2012 at 9:53:35 pm

[Franz Bieberkopf] "The "database" threads on here tend to be a lot of proselytizing - usually about power and imagined features - and little actual information."

Here is 'a little information' from Alban's post before:
But once you are used to sort your media with metadata, there is no way back.
To create a bin of clips with specific format or resolution created on a certain date with a mix of keywords and maybe marked as favorites in an instance out of thousands of clips and dozens reels and cameras is only possible with a database working in the background.

Yes it is true the world was spinning before FCPx and you could tag and find your footage before and will long after FCPx has gone. I personally don't care if FCPx is a database or if Avid is a spreadsheet or vice versa. I'm interested in usability and ease of operation. I have used Avid, Premiere and FCP 7 before and I must say, though confused in the beginning, the X way is the best for me. And if opening 100 Events will slow down this particular software, than I will adjust my organisation to avoid this problem. I could of course always say 'see not ready yet', but honestly the time I save these days organising my footage far out ways the time it takes to load the current Event with 3000 clips I'm working on.

FCPx is fully working now. They will improve it I'm sure, but I do not need to wait until 'they sorted things out', 'make it usable' and so forth.
If I for one second imagine
I would have to go back to describing footage by written description to be able to find content within one clip (rather than just skimming over it),

make sub clips which are not trim-able beyond their boundaries in the project timeline (every keyword or favourite section cut into the project timeline extends to the full length of the underlying media at all times),

use sub clips to mark favourite sections which I have to multiply into several bins because a sub clip section contains several talents (and than need to describe every single one separately to make sense of it later) only to find that I set the out point for the sub clip to early and than have to do it all again,

go through the timeline manually to identify all clips shot at a different frame rate (compared to just clicking on the fps keyword I created),

and I could go on and on..
..I would jump of the bridge :-))

Happy editing

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]