APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: FCP X as a database

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Bret Williams
Re: FCP X as a database
on Nov 5, 2012 at 5:01:40 pm

[Oliver Peters] "Just to clarify, that isn't necessarily my own strategy. It is, however, one option and what many would logically choose. For example, if you wanted to use Event Manager X to reduce the number of open Events, it would be easier to split Events by camera. Let's say you wanted to concentrate on editing one scene in a movie for today's workload, you might opt to only deal with the media shot for that scene. In that case, breaking up the footage into separate Events would facilitate this in a way that's better than having everything in one huge Event."

I don't see that logical at all. The event is the encompassing folder. You make sub-folders within the event. It is more akin to a project in FCP 7. It holds all the media and bins. So, just like in any other NLE you can make separate projects all you want, but just know that it increases organizational difficulties. But if a feature film requires multiple events and project, then event manager X (or some computer 101 manipulation in the finder) should solve it no problem. People complain that some sort of project and event handling should be built in and you shouldn't have to go to the finder. But in FCP legacy you managed your whole project in the finder. You told FCP to save it somewhere, and you had to know where it was to open it again. You could open multiple projects, but then you have to manually keep up with what scratch disk you're capturing to and rendering to by hand since scratch disk prefs weren't lodged in the project file. I just don't see how anyone can complain about the project and event management in X compared to legacy. In X it actually manages where the media is captured and rendered and keeps it all applied to the correct project or event. You can organize projects in the app, in the finder, or with a third party app. There's no chance of accidentally capturing project A into project B's capture scratch folder just because both projects are open. There's no chance of rendering sequence A from project A into Project B's render folder. It all just works and it's light years ahead of the non existent management we had in 7. I think everyone just became an expert at manipulating legacy's shortcomings and now they're confused as to why the app would actually have a mechanism for doing it itself.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]