APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: FCP X as a database

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Walter Soyka
Re: FCP X as a database
on Nov 5, 2012 at 3:48:37 pm

[Craig Seeman] "I think some of the database management issues the FCPX developers face are way certain fundamental features have taken so long to develop such as copy paste of individual attributes. My guess is it probably requires a very complex series relationships While the front end expression of that data is no more complex than what exists in other NLEs, the underlying web of relationship probably meant they had a longer and more complex road to get there."

Huh?

FCPX can obviously read these attributes for any given clip (it must, to display them in the UI and to pass them to the renderer), and FCPX can obviously apply these attributes to any given clip (it must, in order for the user to manipulate them via the UI).

The idea of incorporating CoreData is to abstract data storage away from the application. Why would selective attribute copy and paste be any harder whether it's backed by a relational database or a flat file database?

(And not that it matters, but do we even know if the timeline itself is modeled relationally?)

All that aside, copying and pasting attributes statically across timeline objects isn't a very dynamic or data-driven approach. How about adding a role-like ability to group objects in a timeline via metadata and apply the same attributes across the set?

Of course, this may become a bit of a conceptual challenge (How do you indicate linked/shared attributes in the UI? How do you best manage changes to these linked/shared attributes? How do you apply the attributes in cases where base assumptions change from item to item [like applying scale to items with different raster sizes]?), but wouldn't that feel a bit more like the FCPX way?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]