APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: FCP X as a database

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Walter Soyka
Re: FCP X as a database
on Nov 5, 2012 at 1:51:06 pm

[Andrew Richards] "In practical terms, there is little to differentiate FCPX's SQLite-based Events and Projects from the flat-file methods employed by its peers. I'm still waiting to see more of Final Cut Server's DNA emerge in FCPX's feature set. I'm not holding my breath though."

Yet that doesn't stop a good number of posters from breathlessly marveling at the awesome power of the FCPX Database (with a capital D) or gushing about the wonders of the relational database model.

Jeremy has pointed out how FCP 7 became The Legend of FCP. I think "the database" is the legend of FCPX. Depending on the conversation, the database is either the suggested reason for hope of development of any number of very cool features yet to come, or the suggested cause of difficulty for providing any number of very cool features not here yet.

The data store itself is not as important as what the developers choose to store in it, what methods they provide within the application for accessing and manipulating that data, and what interchange they provide for third parties to access and manipulate that data.

With that mini-rant out of the way, FCPX does do a lot right on the logging/tagging/organization side, in my opinion, by focusing on dynamic data and adopting a bit of the Gmail-style "search, don't sort" philosophy. Internal database model aside, FCPX is putting some unique data-driven tools in front of its users.

I share the opinion here that there's a bit of a divide between events and projects in this data-centric orientation. I'm very curious to see if that will be bridged over future releases, or if that separation is by design. I also think there's a lot of potential for cool data-driven timeline-side tools.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]